Retirement Eligibility Definition
To be considered a “retiree” an employee who is in the DCP or who is a participant in Colorado PERA appointed or reappointed on or after July 1, 2005 must be:
- Age 55 or greater with at least 20 years of “service” or
- Age 60 or greater with at least 5 years of “service”
Service for this purpose includes periods of employment with Colorado State University during which the person
- Received, or was eligible to receive, the University’s contribution to the DCP or to PERA
- Had an appointment of at least half‐time
- Received, or was eligible to receive, the University’s contribution toward benefits, for example health insurance
Periods of service need not be continuous but there must be a minimum of five consecutive years of service immediately preceding the date of retirement. Periods of paid or unpaid leaves of up to 1 year in duration during which the person received, or was eligible to receive, the University’s contribution toward benefits shall be counted as service.
PERA Participants Appointed Prior to June 2005
PERA participants who were appointed on or before June 30, 2005, or reappointed only on or before that date, who are eligible for retirement (full or reduced) under PERA provisions at the time of separation and who have at least five consecutive years of service at Colorado State University in a half‐time or greater, benefit eligible appointment immediately prior to the date of separation are considered retirees.
More information about retiree benefits can be found here.