• It is University policy that non-student hourly (temporary) employment be restricted to those individuals employed to meet unexpected work-loads, to fill a vacant position while the department evaluates their needs for a permanent replacement, or to provide short-term assistance (seasonal workers, returning retirees helping to train their replacement, etc.).
  • In any 12-month period (April 2019 to March 2020, for instance) a non-student hourly employee may work only 9 months – this is a per-employee limit so work in one or more departments counts toward the employee’s limit, except when a Student at Other Institution form is provided.
  • Non-student hourlies are covered by Workers’ Compensation and Unemployment Insurance Unemployment Insurance (HR Manual, p. 1-22).
  • Non-Student Hourly Training

Job Titles

  • Non-student hourly employees may be hired in a classified or non-classified job class except those listed below. Those hired with a state classified job class must be paid at the grade minimum. Pay grades do not apply to non-classified job classes.

Non-Student Hourly Job Exclusions

Job Class Title Job Class Number
Any Student Job Classification 999xxx
Assistant Professor 007480
Associate Professor 007450
Clinical Psychology Intern 009930
Cooperative Graduate Asst 009985
CVMBS Summer Researcher 009970
FGT Postdoctoral 009991
FGT Predoctoral 009992
Graduate Assistant 009980
Instructor 007510
Master Instructor 007514
Postdocoral Fellow 009990
Professor 007420
Senior Instructor 007512
Veterinary Clinician 009960
Veterinary Intern 009940


  • Regular Wages
    • Non-student hourly employees cannot be paid less than minimum wage.
  • Overtime
    • Non-student hourly employees are normally eligible for overtime pay. Refer to the HR Manual, Section 1.
  • Compensatory Time, Shift Differential, Call-Back Pay
    • Non-student hourly employees are not eligible for compensatory time, shift differential, or call-back pay.
  • Paid & Unpaid Time Off
    • Non-student hourly employees accrue one hour of paid sick leave for every 30 hours worked, up to a maximum of 48 hours per year. They are not eligible for other paid time off such as vacation or paid holidays.

Student at Other Institution

  • A Non-Student Hourly may be exempt from the nine-month work limit if they qualify as a student at another institution. Students must be enrolled in a Colorado high school or any institution of higher education on a regular basis, at least half time, in a program that is working towards a degree or certification. Verification of student status should be submitted to the HR Records by February or October for the school term of the year using the Verification of Student Status form.