Volunteers in Public Schools
(VIPS) at Colorado State University allows employees up to 5 hours per month administrative leave to volunteer in any public school district. The program was developed by Colorado State University Classified Personnel Council in 1995 and is now a permanent program open to all Colorado State employees.
Why does the University support VIPS?
- Because it upholds Colorado State’s commitment to support public K-12 schools — a goal that is in the University Strategic Plan and has strong support from the Colorado Legislature.
- It encourages Colorado State staff to get involved with kids and the community, sending the message that our University cares.
- It allows employees to strengthen their skills by taking on projects outside their normal workload — learning by giving back
Enrolling in VIPS
To enroll in the VIPS program, you must:
- Be an employee of Colorado State University (part-time employees are eligible, but their leave is prorated based on the percentage of their appointment).
- Be performing at a level to merit such leave.
- Meet with your supervisor to discuss participation.
- Complete the VIPS Leave Authorization Form.
VIPS administrative leave is processed within the department.