- Any non-exempt employee who works over 40 hours per work week (a regular recurring period of 168 hours) is covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act and is compensated by:
- Flex Hours: Time worked beyond the 8-hour workday may be flexed and used within the same workweek
- Cash: Paid at one and one-half time the hourly rate for all hours worked over 40 in a workweek
- Compensatory Time: Accrued at one and one-half times for every hour worked over 40 in a workweek
- Non-exempt employees are required to sign the Compensatory Time Agreement (Compensatory Time availability is offered at the time of hire by the department if this is an option.)
- Maximum amount of compensatory time a non-exempt employee may accrue is 240 hours
- Departments may opt for lower maximum accruals and/or pay out options
- Other Salaried employees are not eligible for overtime or compensatory time, nor are they covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act because there is not an employer-employee relationship. They are engaged in activities in the course of obtaining advanced degrees, and therefore, there is no application of the minimum wage and overtime pay provisions of the FLSA.
- More information regarding the Fair Labor Standards Act (Department of Labor).
- More information regarding the CSU Compensation Policy.