State Classified Classification
The state of Colorado is is charged with providing a competitive total compensation package to ensure that the state is able to recruit, reward and retain a qualified workforce. Each state classified job is required to have a position description reflecting the assignment in its current state. Position descriptions are reviewed by certified job evaluation experts, exercising delegated authority from the state, to consistently and appropriately classify positions based on the assignment’s primary purpose and nature of work as well as the factor levels within decision-making, complexity, and line/staff authority.
Classification or Job Evaluation Process Map
- Hiring authority or liaison creates or modifies position description in the talent management system and attaches necessary documentation (e.g. updated org chart, letter of resignation, etc.)
- Position updates or modifications are reviewed once in a 12 months period, and only reviewed prior to that if there are substantial changes.
- An employee can request their position be updated and reviewed by working with their supervisor to initiate the position modification talent management system.
- Hiring authority review and approves position description contents, submits to HR job evaluation.
- Employee has an opportunity to review and approve position content, then signs the Employee Certification of Position, which is attached to the position description with other supporting documents (i.e. org chart or staff authority justification reference letters).
- State classified classification experts perform job evaluation and appropriately classify position within the State Personnel Classification system.
- During the initial or preliminary review, if positions do not meet the current classification level or warrant a promotion as requested by the department, the supervisor will be contacted by the classification expert.
- A complete position description is reviewed within 30 days.
- Desk audit (i.e. interviews) may be conducted to further elicit critical information, gain better understanding of the department, unit or role within CSU, and clarify interpretations of the position description.
Review & Approve
- Signature authority reviews classification decision and approves position description, or edits position description to provide further information that could impact classification.
- Classification expert reviews and approves additional information or edits.
- If the position description is a creation request, a position number is generated once the position description is routed to Records.
- Modifications of an existing position description resulting in a new version (i.e. promotions, change in hourly full time equivalent status, etc.) are also routed to Records.